5 Reasons you need a career-making headshot for your ERAS Medical Residency Application.
We’ve talked a lot about personal branding and how important it is to utilize your headshot photos on social media. Let’s take a moment to review the reasons you need an amazing headshot for your Medical Residency Application.
1. Keep in mind the program director and/or anyone looking at your application will see your headshot before you’re chosen for an interview.
2. If a paper application is used, yours will go in a pile with many other applications. Most applications are electronic now, but either way your headshot will be a key factor in your ability to stand out from the other applicants.
3. As your application process progresses, your application could be looked at for hours by faculty members as they’re deliberating your candidacy for residency. If they do that on a projector, then a professional headshot is going to stand out that much more. I wouldn’t want to risk my future by not having a professional headshot.
4. Medical residency is a minimum of three years for primary care physicians and up to five years for some surgical specialties. The photo from your application will be with you on everything at the hospital, from the residency webpage to the hospital roster, for the next 3 to 5 years.
Could a professional application photo really help my chances at being selected for a medical residency?
5. According to a Bias in Radiology Resident Selection study published by Association of American Medical Colleges, students applying to residency have a better rate of selection if they have headshots that show attractiveness, and have an URM status equivalent of 5-9 points or higher. So yes, an amazing headshot is extremely important and can absolutely be career making for you.
How do you show attractiveness in a headshot photo? It is not by being a model or extra fit. It is all about your expression. That is what I will help you with. The photo on the application is actually quite small so you need a professional to help make sure your expression is perfect.
Things to keep in mind:
Your application photo should not exceed these requirements:
- Dimensions: 2.5 in. x 3.5 in.
- Resolution: 150dpi
- File Size: 100kb
The background is also very important as well. A solid white or light grey background are the best.
Jen Barker Worley Photography
555 Grant Street, Suite 337 Offices at the William Penn Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Are you looking for a Passport photographer near me? I am a Pittsburgh passport photographer and I am happy to take your passport or PR photo.