Ciara F. Koba is a Partner in the Pittsburgh office of Gordon & Rees and is a member of the Medicare Compliance Group.
Ms. Koba is an attorney and licensed registered nurse with significant general and surgical nursing experience and she brings a unique understanding of the healthcare industry to the resolution of Medicare issues.
She focuses her practice on Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance issues that arise in the resolution of workers’ compensation, longshore, Jones Act, Federal Employers Liability Act and general liability claims and she has been instrumental in settling tens of thousands of cases nationwide involving Medicare issues.
Her work includes MMSEA Section 111 Mandatory Insurer Reporting, Medicare Compliance Audits, Medicare Conditional Payment resolution, and the preparation of Medicare Set-Aside Allocations.
Ms. Koba is a recognized national presenter on Medicare Secondary Payer compliance topics and frequently lectures to insurance carriers, self-insured businesses, third-party administrators, law firms and professional industry organizations.
Ms. Koba graduated from Duquesne University School of Law, cum laude, in 2011. While there, she founded the university’s first Health Law Society and served as its president.
Ms. Koba received a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Duquesne University in 2006.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP)
- Member, Board of Directors, Jan. 2015-present
- Board Liaison, Legislative Committee, 2014-present
- Board Liaison, Data Development Committee, Feb. 2015-present
- “Coordination of Medicare Benefits and Coverage Denials – The Latest Impact of Section 111 Reporting,” California Workers’ Compensation & Risk Conference, Dana Point, CA, September 2017
- “Medicare Compliance Updates in Liability Settlements,” The National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, September 2017
- “Evidence Based Medicine and Non-Submit Programs,” National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals MSP Policy Palooza 2017, Baltimore, MD, September 2017
- “State of the MSP,” National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP) webinar, January 2017
- “Top 3 Medicare Issues,” California Workers’ Compensation and Risk Conference, Dana Point, CA, October 2016
- “Divided We Stand – Medicare Advantage Organization Case Law,” NAMSAP, San Antonio, TX, September 2016
- “Medicare Reporting and the New Players in Medicare Compliance,” California Coalition on Workers’ Compensation 14th Annual Conference Legislative and Educational Forum, Anaheim, CA, July 2016
- “Best Practices for Conditional Payments,” MSP Master Class, San Diego, CA, June 2016
- “The New World of ICD-10; It’s All About Identifying the Correct Injury,” MSP Master Class, Orlando, FL, January 2016
- “MMSEA Section 111 Mandatory Insurer Reporting Compliance Changes,” NBI Nationally Broadcasted Webcast, September 2014
- “MMSEA Section 111 Mandatory Insurer Reporting Compliance Changes,” NBI Nationally Broadcasted Webcast, November 2013
- “Beyond MSAs – Medicare Mandatory Insurer Reporting,” Burns White Medicare Compliance Seminar Reception, Pittsburgh, PA, September 2013
- “Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Litigation,” NBI Settling Your Case & Sleeping at Night CLE, Syracuse, NY, March 2013
- “Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Litigation,” NBI Settling Your Case & Sleeping at Night CLE, New York, NY, February 2013
- “Medicare Set-Asides in Personal injury Litigation,” National Business Institute (NBI) Settling Your Case & Sleeping at Night CLE, Buffalo, NY, February 2013